‘There’s no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing’ Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Do your children go stir crazy inside on rainy days? Time to take them outside. Playing outside in the rain is an experience that children love – from jumping in puddles to catching raindrops on their tongue.
So forget about the extra washing , put on their wet weather gear and head outside with our top 20 rainy day activities:
- Measure puddles is with a stick
- Make mud pies
- Make a mudslide or slip n slide
- Make nature potions with fallen flowers and leaves
- Play a game of ‘Pooh sticks’
- Make ‘Stick/ Leaf’ boats
- Build a dam
- Explore items that sink or float
- What creates a bigger splash? Rock or a Stick
- Mud painting
- Paint in the rain – what does the rain drops do to your paint?
- Build a bark ‘marble’ run to manipulate water
- Build a shelter using tarps or a Den with Sticks
- Go on a worm hunt
- Create Rainy Orchestra – use pots and pans to let rain create different sounds
- It’s not a stick! Create a pretend fishing rod with a stick and string
- Use a magnifying glass to look for bugs that come out in the rain
- Look for fungi on logs
- Make a rain gauge with a cup and ruler
- Play stuck in the mud
We would love to hear your rainy day play ideas too!